Children’s home was established in Belgrade in September 1945. It accepted children – war orphans from all over Yugoslavia, as well as from Kosovo. As months were passing by, some of parents or relatives appeared to be alive. Most of them came from concentration camps.
Children from Kosovo were mostly from Pristina and some survived Bergen-Belsen.
Jewish Religious Municipality provided them with food, clothes, medicines, beds and linen. Doctors and nurses were taking care of their health. Teachers were helping them to socialize and to overcome their fears and to help them to deal with the loss of the closest relatives by giving them love and hope. Children attended schools or nursery school and had to compensate everything they missed during the war.
Many children went to Israel with the first alia at the end of 1948. and others went to live with parents or relatives .